February 14, 2022
Dan Lugo, President of Queens University of Charlotte, who started his higher ed career in admissions at Carleton College (his alma mater), presents a master class in leadership with lessons too many to list here, but here's a sample: "If you're going to maximize what you're going to do in life you have to experience failure ... and invite it."
Oh ... this episode is filled with more, so much more.
- Walkout song: Fight the Power by Public Enemy (and, as if Dan weren't cool enough already, he's friends with Chuck D)
- Best recent read: Caste: The Origins of Our Discontents by Isabel Wilkerson and The Nickel Boys by Colson Whitehead
- Eager to read next: How the Word is Passed: A Reckoning with the History of Slavery Across America by Clint Smith and Harlem Shuffle by Colson Whitehead.
- Favorite podcast: The Daily by NYT
- Favorite thing to make in the kitchen: "I can make some mean eggs."
- What he uses to take and keep notes: Notes app on iPhone/iPad
- Memorable bit of advice: The parent of a high school classmate gave Dan some bulletin board material when she said, "Do you think you're going to charm your way through college?"
- Bucket list: Travel to Africa, visit the capital cities of that diverse and massive continent and go on a safari. (We can see a future where the Queens alumni office sponsors a Travels with the President program.)
Theme music arranged by Ryan Anselment.